Friday, July 17, 2009

4th of July

It rained on 4th of July in Nashville. And I don't mean a little sprinkle, I mean a downpour. Short lived, but lively. And we were all outside. I should start by mentioning that my brother Chris and his family came up from Mississippi and my sister and her kids came over from North Carolina for the weekend. We all planning to go to Crockett Park for the outdoor concert followed by fireworks, same thing we did last year. As we parked the cars, the automated warning system began announcing that lightening had been detected in the area and everyone should seek shelter. There is no shelter, not an option. And the hundreds of other people didn't seem to be bothered so we wandered to a great viewing spot, settled in, and then decided to move the cars. As I was re-parking, I could see the lightening flashing off in the distance and the thunder started. And although the hundreds of others did not mind it, I decided that in any other circumstance I wouldn't allow my children to be outside so this should be no different. None of the other adults agreed, so I took Hailey & Parker, and Carly & Laney to mom and dad's car (the Johnsons weren't there yet) and my mom joined us just because I think she felt bad for me! And there we sat. In air conditioned luxury, for about 30 minutes. Only a few sprinkles fell, so we hopped out when it looked better and found our blankets.
About 5 minutes later, when all the sandwiches were unwrapped, everyone had drinks in their hands, and the roll of paper towels were being passed around, the heavens opened up. We had 3 umbrellas, one of which was Hailey's Dora umbrella.


I don't have a picture that really captures the moment. I took this when all had settled down. During the real rain, Bryce was holding tight to Dora.
Mom broke her toe about 2 days into being in Nashville. Then Kim stepped on it. I LOVE these faces!

Chris and Sarah after the rain. Ready for the show!
Don't they look festive?? We won't let a little storm get us down.


Hailey adored being with her cousins. Every once in a while, probably once a day, she gets a little sad and says she wishes her cousins were here...me too!



This picture was a total mission on my part! Bryce does not enjoy photos- such a boy. I had to threaten posting a worse shot on facebook to get him to smile at me.

Parker was exhausted well before the fireworks started but he was a total champ about it. He fell asleep on Jona's shoulder about a minute before the first big BOOM but didn't flinch. Just opened his eyes and took in the show.



And proof positive that I AM IN THERE SOMEWHERE!! A little curl action to honor the mamasita.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad that things are going good. would love an update. did you get my voicemail on the day that you left?
love ya
kerri

Shelby said...

I love all the pics and it was great to see you. Never understood how these guys get away with trips without the kids. Oh yeah their working....WITH OUT THE KIDS!!!! Hang in there.
Love
Kim